Sunday, October 11, 2009

Hot Shit of The Week - Crap I Procrastinated Again October 2009 Edition

This is supposed to be a weekend thing, but it is technically now Monday. Oh well. Life gets busy and shit happens. Even Hot Shit. A lot of our first posts are not very timely things. I'm hoping to make things more recent-only shits soon, but for now there are so many great things to catch up on, so here we go TRY TO KEEP UP!


First Up: Topless Robot



There are a lot of more well know blogs I follow, and at some point I will be posting about all of them, but I wanted to share a less well known but really entertaining blog first. Topless Robot is a daily dose of really geeky news, and they almost always post something really interesting at least once a day.

From cartoons and comics to sci-fi and fantasy, this is a throughly geek entertainment focused blog. It isn't too negative or angsty (unlike here) and it isn't too fan-boy. Nice, well rounded, all around nerdy.



Next Up: FUCKING TWITTER


I don't normally advocate a specific technology, and if there was anything as awesome in competition this would not just be about Twitter.

Now it isn't the 140 character, bullshit that I love. Sometimes I want 145 characters! or 148! What I love is the API and SMS integration. Twitter updates my facebook. I can track multiple twitter accounts with things like Gwibber and Brizzly (the jury is still out on Brizzly). I can follow the people I really care about on my cellphone, and even update my Twitter AND Facebook from my totally cheapass featureless cellphone.

Twitter has a ways to go to be really mass market friendly. It isn't quite an IM solution, and it isn't Facebook (thankfully). I don't buy into the micro-blogging notion. It is really more of a status-update-semi-public-chat system. I don't quite know what Twitter is, but I've been using it for over a year now and I LOVE IT.

Moving Along: Internet TV, esp. Fullmetal Alchemist


I told my mom (no I don't live with her, I visit monthly) when Funimation first started airing Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood episodes, online, subtitled, the same week they air on Japanese TV, that it was about the best thing that could happen to me. She thought I was either being silly or exagerating. I am full on serious. It is great that we are getting this pretty well done version of one of my top 5 favorite stories (and the number one on going story) so close to real time. It is an affront to so many things that I really don't like.

Granted, I am NOT A FAN of Funimation personaly. It is more of a love-hate thing. Funimation does things that are really dumb and piss me off, but it is clear they are trying to make fans happy in the process of taking their money hand over fist. So few companies even try. I am not, however a fan of modern fan-sub culture. I am also not a fan of the commercial ignorance that has lead to the wide spread success and dare-I-say neccessity of fan-subbing. Region controlled media is on its death bed. LET IT DIE. It is backwards. I lothe people that embrace the illusion of control. Demon be gone!

...and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is pretty cool too. I am really hoping that we are not headed for a grind-filler fest. The pace is slowing. I can FEEL it. I have charted the time line between the anime and manga in my head. I dread it.

And Before I Forget: Old School Hot Shit - Check Your Shit



Let me just say that I am fully glad to live in these complicated times. Sure it is a bloody violent world out there, and people all over the worlds are total douche bags, but there is one thing that makes me very happy: AUTO-SAVE and ONLINE BACKUPS. If you are a programmer, or involved with any kind of "product" you need to CHECK THE FUCKING SHIT YOU ARE SELLING/PUSHING and make sure it is Y2009 compliant. If you won't have auto-save, you are an ass wipe.

Now my friends at Blogger and Google, THEY GET THIS SHIT. They have auto-save, and they do a pretty damned good job of letting me know when it IS and IS NOT working. I have sadly been using some other programs for things like E-mail and Blogging because either my job doesn't give me much choice, or I'm trying to be a good boy and play ball with other people.

I've also been having a hell of a time trying to keep my shit in order. I love using Tomboy, but the syncronization feature is just plain gimped and lame. A friend of mine('s husband) suggested Dropbox and OMG, it is spot on. It is Lots of Copies Keeps Things Safe (LOCKS) done right! I fully expect that I will be getting the paid version with more quota one day, but the free version has made me a very happy person.


Finally: Hot Topic


Yeah it is a bit cliche, but these guys have the best tee shirts and occasionally other novelty wear. I will buy cool things online when I don't have a choice, but I guess I am one of the few people guys that dislikes shopping online, but they have a pretty kick-ass online store too.

Hot Topic Link. OMG PLEASE TOTALY IGNORE THAT NEW MOON CRAP ON THE FRONT PAGE> SRY! Also please ignore the stupid Java technology they use to run their store front. Yikes, someone needs to learn how to properly configure Tomcat.

Virtual shopping hang ups aside, a few months ago they had really awsome gothy kilts for guys. There is a constant supply of video game and cartoon related merchandise as well. This week the big find was Battle Toads! Sadly they have a better more awesome selection for the girls than for guys, but stalking their clearance rack is my second favorite shopping activity next to Target's clothes and electronics clearnance.

Until next week, keep it hawt!

No comments: