Saturday, February 21, 2009

Trip the stupid fantastic

I don't really get mad at Microsoft much anymore, because honestly it's not worth the trouble, but...

You take an Xbox 360, and a Windows machine with Windows Media Player 11, and you can share media from your computer to your Xbox. Music, movies, and so forth, and you're pretty good so long as the 360 can recognize the file format. And a kudos to Microsoft, because in one of the more recent Dashboard updates, they gave the Xbox the ability to play .mp4 files, which can be used for HD quality! Alright!

Oh but hey, Windows Media Player CAN'T
! So since Windows Media Player is sharing your .mp4 files, it can't share what it can't recognize! Fantastic!

But ok! Supposedly Zune software can do it. So, I download! I install! I try!

FAIL!

Hell, Zune software can't share anything! Not even the .avi files I was sharing with WMP11. Oh yea, that worked great. So, back to Google. I search, and with luck, I find another answer. And I try it, and hey! it works! By a small tweak, Windows Media Player is able to share .mp4s to my Xbox. And how, you ask, is this possible?

FILE.mp4 => (rename!) => FILE.wmv

Bloody fantastic Microsoft. Great job.

1 comment:

Kelmar Firesun said...

Yep,

That's what we like to call absolutely wonderful foresight on Microsoft's part. They have absolutely perfect 20/20 hindsight..... >_>